Swimmers emerge after loaded weekend
Robert Galbreath photos
BIG PINEY – Churning the water all weekend, the Sublette County girls’ swim team participated in three days of back-to-back competition.
On Thursday, Sept. 16, the team hit the water in Big Piney for a duel against Lyman. The contest was neck-and-neck with eventually Lyman edging out Sublette County by only six points, 89-83.
Climbing back on the bus early Friday morning, the team traveled to Jackson for the two-day Adam Denton Memorial Invitational. The meet featured top teams from across Wyoming, including Laramie, the defending 4A State Champion, along with 4A Jackson and 3A rival Lander.
Preliminaries took place on Friday with final rounds on Saturday. Sublette County placed fourth with 152 points.
Junior Morgan Grossman punched her ticket to State on Thursday with a first-place finish in the 400-meter freestyle. Grossman clocked in at 5 minutes, 32.60 seconds, over 7 seconds ahead of the runner-up from Lyman.
Fellow junior Rhonda Auradou put in another strong performance in diving. Auradou won the 6-dive event at Big Piney, tallying 145.90 points. Auradou also qualified in 11 dives at the Adam Denton Memorial, placing fifth with 269.85 points.
Senior Mia Buchanan won the 200-meter individual medley at Big Piney, timing in at 3:11.45. Buchanan swam the final leg for the first-place 200-meter freestyle relay team on Thursday. She and senior Sierra Hattan, senior Jacie Friel and junior Rayne Wheeler pulled ahead of the competition at 2:16.09.
Buchanan also came in second place in the 100-meter freestyle at Big Piney with a time of 1:14.84.
Breaking into the top five in the 50-yard freestyle finals in Jackson, Buchanan finished in fourth place on Saturday at 29.40 seconds.
Hattan won the 100-meter breaststroke on Thursday, timing in at 1:33.21 and beating her Lyman competition by over 9 seconds. Hattan picked up second place in the 50-meter freestyle in Big Piney at 31.94 seconds.
In Jackson, Hattan finished fourth in the 100-yard butterfly finals at 1:09.11. She placed fifth in the 200-yard individual medley finals on Saturday, timing in at 2:41.86.
Wheeler picked up second place in the 100-meter backstroke in Big Piney at 1:26.26. She took fifth in the 100-yard freestyle finals at Jackson with a time of 1:04.09.
Junior Ceili Fallon came in second place in the 200-meter individual medley in Big Piney, finishing in 3:22.07. Fellow junior Ayame Conway took second place in the 100-meter butterfly on Thursday at 2:00.47.
“I am very impressed with how tough these young ladies are,” said coach Kursty Day. “Friday we swam against two very strong 4A swim teams and Lander, a strong 3A team. We might be a young swim team, but we have some very competitive swimmers that were able to hold their own against these bigger teams. We are thrilled to have several swimmers place in the top 10 in their individual events.”
“Having three days of competition gives us an idea of what mental and physical condition we are in,” stated coach Ambr Seemann. “These girls showed how strong they are as they continued to improve their times and were not intimidated by older and larger teams. I was especially impressed with our senior leadership throughout the long weekend.”
Big Piney vs. Lyman additional results
- 200-meter medley relay: Conway, Ceili Fallon, KaLee Bohnet and Grossman in third place at 2:57.80.
- 200-meter freestyle: Wheeler in third place at 2:51.58, Emma York in fourth at 3:22.45 and Jolynn Jones in fifth at 3:41.81.
- 200-meter individual medley: Bohnet in third place at 3:57.52.
- 50-meter freestyle: Grossman in third place at 32.89 seconds, Friel in seventh at 34.62, Addysen Levitt in eighth place at 35.27, Conway in 11th at 43.58, Cambry Jenks in 12th at 46.41 and Adriaunna Myers in 14th at 6:51.73.
- 100-meter freestyle: Levitt in fifth place at 1:21.48, Alexis Thompson in seventh at 1:22.21, Fallon in eighth at 1:29.75, Bohnet in ninth at 1:31.87 and Jenks in 11th at 1:45.07.
- 400-meter freestyle: Jones in fifth place at 7:42.70.
- 200-meter freestyle relay: Thompson, Levitt, Lilly Joseph and Auradou in third place at 2:24.95.
- 100-meter backstroke: Friel in third place at 1:31.45.
- 100-meter breaststroke: York in fourth place at 2:01.35.
- 400-meter freestyle relay: Levitt, Rachael Essington, Bohnet and Jones in second place at 6:01.74.
Adam Denton Memorial additional results – finals
- 200-yard medley relay: Levitt, Friel, Joseph and Grossman in third place at 2:35.84.
- 200-yard freestyle: Grossman in seventh place at 2:26.54 and Bohnet in 14th at 3:00.55.
- 200-yard individual medley: Wheeler in eighth place at 2:44.74.
- 50-yard freestyle: Friel in 13th place at 31.09 seconds, Thompson in 17th at 34.12 and York in 18th at 38.70.
- 1-meter diving: Joseph in seventh place with 238.45 points.
- 100-yard butterfly: Conway in 17th place at 1:53.34.
- 100-yard freestyle: Buchanan in ninth place at 1:05.71, Levitt in 16th at 1:13.56 and York in 18th at 1:27.34.
- 500-yard freestyle: Grossman in seventh place at 6:28.93.
- 200-yard freestyle relay: Hattan, Friel, Wheeler and Buchanan in third place at 1:58.78.
- 100-yard backstroke: Friel in 13th place at 1:23.80, Levitt in 14th at 1:25.32, Thompson in 15th at 1:31.65 and Bohnet in 16th at 1:35.26.
- 100-yard breaststroke: Jones in 17th place at 1:54.10.
- 400-yard freestyle relay: Wheeler, Grossman, Hattan and Buchanan in fourth place at 4:28.22.