Man charged after resuscitation upon apparent overdose


SUBLETTE COUNTY – A Big Piney man previously convicted of misdemeanor controlled-substance possession pleaded not guilty Thursday in 9th District Court to two enhanced possession felonies.

On Aug. 6, Deputy Krystal Mansur and others responded to a call about an unresponsive man in a Ford 150 in the sagebrush off Highway 351, according to her affidavit

The caller saw the truck with the unconscious man identified as Warren J. Phillips inside, put it in park, turned it off and began CPR, the affidavit says. The man started breathing but was still unconscious. An EMT assessed Phillips, not knowing why he was wouldn’t respond, it says.

An empty pill bottle was on a seat, the deputy said.

Three of them pulled Phillips from his truck and laid him on the ground, Phillips began breathing in great distress, she reported.

Sublette EMS arrived and immediately administered Narcan, a nasal spray used to reverse possible opiate overdoses, her affidavit says. Phillips came to shortly after and was taken by ambulance to the Pinedale Medical Clinic, where he recovered and was later questioned.

Phillips said he didn’t understand or remember what happened. Deputies took and tested several white pills and white powder in a blue vial that came back “presumptive positive” for Buprenorphine and meth respectively, the affidavit says. Buprenorphine is described as an opioid used to treat opioid dependence.

Phillips is charged with possession of a controlled substance, meth, third or subsequent offence; possession of a controlled substance pill or cap, Buprenorphine, third or more offense; driving under the influence of a controlled substance and failure to maintain a single lane, according to court records.

The enhanced possession felonies each carry maximum penalties of five years in prison and $5,000 fines; the misdemeanors carry a maximum total of six months, 20 days in jail and $950 fines.

His bond was set at $5,000 cash in Circuit Court, with $1,000 cash to be posted as surety for the entire amount. Phillips was released from custody.