Swimmers post new State-qualifying times
WYOMING – Building momentum as the season progresses, the Sublette County combined girls’ swim team crossed the finish lines at both the Worland Swim Meet and the Gene Dozah Invitational in Powell with new personal records and State-qualifying times.
The action opened at Worland on Friday, Sept. 8, when junior Jolynn Jones qualified for State in two additional events – the 200-freestyle and 100-freestyle. Fellow junior Emma York punched her ticket to State in the 100-freestyle.
Jones captured third place in the 200-freestyle at Worland, clocking in at 2 minutes, 22.08 seconds.
York snapped up bronze in the 100-freestyle at the event, posting a time of 1:04.53.
At the Gene Dozah Invitational in Powell the following day, the team broke into the top 10 in multiple events.
Senior Addysen Levitt, junior Maggie Walker, Jones and York secured eighth place in the 200-medley relay with a time of 2:22.20. Walker, Levitt, Jones and York went on to garner seventh place in the 200-freestyle relay, reaching the finish line in 2:04.12.
In the 400-freestyle relay, sophomores Clairee Bingham, Kamia Runyan and Libby Olson and freshman Addison Kinnamon snagged ninth place at 5:16.00. Junior Matazi Landers, freshman Eva Scherbel, sophomore Kaylea Mortensen and sophomore Mariaha Morgan picked up 10th place in the event at 5:29.78.
“We had some decent time drops this weekend,” said Co-Head Coach Kursty Day. “Matazi Landers, Anna Wexels, Evalyn Smith, Emma York, Jolynn Jones, Shelby Scott, Bryn Arne and Hadlee Francis all dropped 5 seconds or more on their individual events. Maggie Walker is 4 seconds away from qualifying in the 100-breaststroke.”
Additional Worland results – individual events
• 200-freestyle: York in fifth place at 2:26.22, Aurora Rees in 11th at 2:46.28, Scherbel in 14th at 2:55.59, Scott in 15th at 2:56.07, Alyce Hayward in 17th at 3:01.36 and Morgan in 20th at 3:29.24.
• 200-individual medley: Runyan in seventh place at 3:10.75.
• 50-freestyle: Walker in sixth place at 30.36 seconds, Levitt in ninth at 32.12, Mortensen in 10th at 33.43, Landers in 12th at 33.82, Arne in 16th at 35.98, Kinnamon in 17th at 36.96, Smith in 18th at 38.21 and Francis in 20th at 38.37.
• 100-freestyle: Jones in fourth place at 1:04.54, Levitt in 12th at 1:10.35, Olson in 13th at 1:12.04, Scherbel in 14th at 1:14.61, Arne in 17th at 1:18.20, Francis in 20th at 1:25.29 and Smith in 21st at 1:25.63.
• 500-freestyle: Rees in fourth place at 7:43.83 and Hayward in sixth at 8:08.74.
• 100-backstroke: Walker in sixth place at 1:19.85, Scott in seventh at 1:20.60, Bingham in 14th at 1:36.21, Kinnamon in 15th at 1:38.72, Smith in 16th at 1:42.43 and Wexels in 18th at 1:48.96.
• 100-breaststroke: Landers in eighth place at 1:37.62, Runyan in ninth at 1:38.44 and Mortensen in 14th at 1:45.03.
Additional Powell results
• 200-medley relay: Arne, Kinnamon, Francis and Wexels in 15th place at 3:21.37.
• 200-freestyle: Runyan in 21st place at 2:49.93, Bingham in 22nd at 2:57.35 and Kinnamon in 23rd at 3:05.93.
• 200-individual medley: Jones in 11th place at 2:47.81, Scott in 17th at 3:11.41 and Scherbel in 18th at 3:15.85.
• 50-freestyle: York in 14th place at 29.91 seconds, Walker in 21st at 31.51, Levitt in 23rd at 32.68, Landers in 26th at 33.18, Rees in 29th at 34.97, Hayward in 30th at 35.73, Arne in 31st at 36.23, Francis in 33rd at 38.14, Smith in 34th at 38.46, Morgan in 38th at 41.89 and Wexels in 41st at 44.58.
• 100-freestyle: Olson in 15th place at 1:10.21, Mortensen in 22nd at 1:16.01, Scott in 23rd at 1:17.31, Runyan in 24th at 1:17.52, Kinnamon in 29th at 1:24.73, Smith in 30th at 1:26.93, Wexels in 34th at 1:37.83 and Morgan in 36th at 1:38.87.
• 500-freestyle: York in 13th place at 6:42.22, Jones in 14th at 6:50.56, Arne in 18th at 7:39.12 and Hayward in 20th at 8:14.20.
• 200-freestyle relay: Scott, Arne, Rees and Olson in 15th place at 2:21.01.
• 100-backstroke: Olson in 17th place at 1:27.35, Scherbel in 18th at 1:27.82, Landers in 19th at 1:27.86 and Rees in 22nd at 1:34.53.
• 100-breaststroke: Walker in 12th place at 1:27.57, Levitt in 19th at 1:33.50, Mortensen in 23rd at 1:39.16, Bingham in 29th at 1:44.32 and Francis in 33rd at 1:57.15.
• 400-freestyle relay: Scott, Smith, Francis and Hayward in 11th place at 5:36.18.