LYMAN – Postseason is underway for swimmers across Wyoming, and the combined Sublette County team competed at the 3A West Conference Meet in Lyman on Feb. 6.
Due to public health restrictions this year, the conference meets were split between two locations to reduce the number of athletes present at one event.
In the western conference, four teams, including Sublette County, hit the pool in Lyman on Saturday. Three other teams raced in Lander.
Keeping tabs on overall performance during the met proved difficult with athletes swimming the same events halfway across the state, said coaches Ron Ruckman and Kursty Day in an email. Sublette County finished in seventh place overall with 110 points.
“It kind of seemed like the stars were aligned against us,” said Day and Ruckman. Two “devastating disqualifications” pushed Sublette County back in the rankings. Illness also struck several athletes, further hindering the team’s standing.
Despite the challenges, Sublette swimmers added several new qualifying races in the run up to the State Meet.
Sophomore Max Shaw became the latest swimmer on the team to qualify for State in the 50 freestyle, beating the required time by two-hundredths of a second. Sophomore Cade Covill added two additional events at Lyman, the 100 freestyle and the 200 freestyle.
“We are very proud of how our boys swam as a whole this weekend,” Day and Ruckman wrote. “Most everyone dropped significant time in at least one event. The boys will have one more chance to qualify at the meet in Pinedale this Thursday.”
- Relay highlights: Dillon Boespflug, Jackson Fouras, Hunter Scott and John Covill in fourth place in the 200-yard medley relay at 1 minute, 47.44 seconds. J.T. Day, Cade Covill, Brayden Hymas and Hunter Scott took fifth in the 200-yard freestyle relay at 1:41.97. Boespflug, John Covill, Day and Jackson Fouras in sixth place in the 400-yard freestyle relay at 3:46.25.
- 200-yard freestyle: Cade Covill in 11th at 2:09.13, Hymas in 19th at 2:15.84 and Owen Nielson in 20th at 2:16.35.
- 200-yard individual medley: Ryen Hacklin in 12th at 2:34.70, John Covill in 13th at 2:36.84, Day in 14th at 2:36.89 and Conner King in 18th at 2:47.53.
- 50-yard freestyle: Shaw in 13th at 25.78 seconds, Declan McAffey in 14th at 26.12, Andy DeClue in 16th at 26.25, Juan Reyes in 18th at 26.70, Hymas in 19th at 26.74, Logan Bing in 23rd at 28.46, Andy Jones in 29th at 33.61, Brycen Vrska in 31st at 39.32 and Jamison Snell in 32nd at 39.56.
- 1-meter diving: Day in seventh with 258.70 points and Hampton Jones in 13th at 216.65 points.
- 100-yard butterfly: Boespflug in seventh at 1:02.38 and DeClue in 15th at 1:13.38.
- 100-yard freestyle: Cade Covill in 13th at 57.52 seconds, John Covill in 14th at 57.86 seconds, Reyes in 19th at 1:00.91, Nielson in 22nd at 1:02.05, Bing in 24th at 1:04.31, McAffey in 25th at 1:08.44, Snell in 29th at 1:20.74, Andy Jones in 30th at 1:28.57 and Vrska in 31st at 1:33.20.
- 500-yard freestyle: Fouras in fourth at 5:14.19.
- 100-yard backstroke: King in 13th at 1:12.21.
- 100-yard breaststroke: Fouras in second at 1:00.96, Scott in eighth at 1:09.59, Hacklin in 17th at 1:19.73, Hampton Jones in 19th at 1:29.34 and John Ruby in 20th at 1:43.25.