Two more wins for Sublette swim team
PINEDALE – The Sublette County combined boys’ swim team dominated the pool in back-to-back performances at the Pinedale Aquatic Center.
On Friday, Jan. 29, Sublette County blew the competition out of the water, beating Evanston, Lyman and Kemmerer at the Pinedale Quad. Pinedale tallied 321 points with Evanston at 293 points, Lyman at 238 and Kemmerer with 185.
The team kept the momentum going at the Gene Andrews Memorial Invitational on Saturday. Sublette County took first place with 352 points, defeating Lyman (290) and Kemmerer (197).
Junior J.T. Day qualified for state in two additional events – the 100 bbackstroke and 100 breaststroke – bringing his total to eight events in addition to diving. Day earned the Adam Denton Award for his achievement.
Day took first place in the 1-meter diving event both days, scoring 127.55 points in six dives on Friday and 270.15 points for 11 dives on Saturday.
Freshman Ryen Hacklin qualified in three additional events at Pinedale, the 100 backstroke, 200 individual medley and 100 breaststroke. Fellow freshman Andy DeClue brought his state total to five events after qualifying swims in the 200 freestyle and 100 freestyle.
Senior John Covill qualified in his third event, the 100 butterfly. Sophomore Hampton Jones punched his ticket to state after qualifying in 1-meter diving. Sophomore Cade Covill joined the state bound team when he qualified in the 50-freestyle.
“We had two awesome meets in Pinedale this weekend,” said Coach Kursty Day. “It is always very exciting to see out athletes drop time and get closer to their personal goals. We currently have 10 swimmers qualified for state – two more than last year.”
Half of the 3A West Conference teams compete in a tournament hosted by Lyman on Saturday, Feb. 6. Swimmers only have one day of competition with no preliminary events, explained coach Ron Ruckman.
“We are looking forward to Conference and hope we can make a good showing,” he said.
Top-5 highlights – Pinedale Quad
- 200-yard medley relay: Boespflug, Hunter Scott, Day and John Covill in second at 1 minute, 55.71 seconds.
- 200-yard freestyle: DeClue in fourth at 2:10.61.
- 200-yard individual medley: Scott in first at 2:13.42.
- 50-yard freestyle: Cade Covill in third at 25.68 seconds.
- 1-meter diving: Jones in second with 118.85 points.
- 100-yard butterfly: Boespflug in second at 1:50.55 and John Covill in third at 1:11.28.
- 100-yard freestyle: Scott in fifth at 56.12 seconds.
- 500-yard freestyle: DeClue in second at 6:04.85, Owen Nielson in third at 6:22.33 and Brayden Hymas in fourth at 6:24.47.
- 200-yard freestyle relay: Juan Reyes, Declan McAffey, Max Shaw and DeClue in fourth at 1:53.18.
- 100-yard backstroke: Day in third at 1:07.29 and Hacklin in fourth at 1:07.42.
- 100-yard backstroke: Boespflug in second at 1:13.14 and John Covill in fourth at 1:23.27.
- 400-yard freestyle relay: DeClue, Hymas, Cade Covill and Day in second at 4:03.87.
Top-5 highlights – Gene Andrews Memorial
- 200-yard medley relay: Boespflug, Hacklin, Day and John Covill in second at 1:57.64.
- 200-freestyle: Scott in first at 2:01.56, Cade Covill in third at 2:15.31 and Nielson in fourth at 2:20.42.
- 200-individual medley: Hacklin in second at 2:31.71 and Reyes in fourth at 2:53.62.
- 50-freestyle: Boespflug in fifth at 25.50 seconds.
- 1-meter diving: Jones in seond with 252.95 points.
- 100-butterfly: Scott in second at 1:01.76, Conner King in fourth at 1:23.00 and Nielson in fifth at 1:24.23.
- 100-freestyle: John Covill in third at 58.81 seconds and Cade Covill in fourth at 59.05 seconds.
- 500-freestyle: John Ruby in fourth at 7:38.12.
- 200-yard freestyle relay: Scott, Hymas, Day and John Covill in third at 1:43.88.
- 100-backstroke: Boespflug in third at 1:06.05 and DeClue in fourth at 1:08.50.
- 100-yard breaststroke: Hacklin in second at 1:15.12, Day in third ad 1:16.09 and John Covill in fifth at 1:23.89.
- 400-yard freestyle relay: Scott, Cade Covill, DeClue and Boespflug in second at 3:54.64.