Swimmers snag hardware at home duel
BIG PINEY – Rounding out the regular season on a high note, the Sublette County combined girls’ swim team filled its bag with top-three placings, new personal records and a State-qualifying time at the duel against Evanston in Big Piney on Tuesday, Oct. 10.
Junior Emma York captured gold in the 200-freestyle at Big Piney, clocking in with a State-qualifying time of 2 minutes, 38.78 seconds. The 200-freestyle is the second event York has qualified in, after she punched her ticket to State in the 100-freestyle at the beginning of the season.
York went on to garner second place in the 400-freestyle on Tuesday, hitting the finish line in 5:46.73.
Sophomore Shelby Scott snagged first place in the 100-meter backstroke, timing the event in at 1:28.71. Scott beat her opponent from Evanston by more than 4 seconds.
Clocking the 100-breaststroke in at 1:36.03, junior Maggie Walker won the event with 1.67 seconds to spare over the second-place finisher from Evanston. Walker earned second place in the 50-freestyle sprint, reaching the finish line in 33.58 seconds.
Walker, junior Alexis Thompson, York and junior Jolynn Jones won the 200-freestyle relay, posting a combined time of 2:12.57. The team pulled into the finish line 0.33 seconds ahead of Evanston.
Thompson picked up second place in the 200-freestyle, touching the finish line at 2:52.23.
Jones secured second place in the 200-individual medley, timing the event in at 3:04.58. She also snagged third place in the 400-freestyle with a time of 5:50.85.
Hitting the finish line in the 100-butterfly with a time of 1:40.03, junior KaLee Bohnet finished second in the event.
Senior Addysen Levitt snapped up third place in the 100-breaststroke, clocking in at 1:37.99.
Additional relay highlights consisted of a second-place finish for Walker, sophomore Kaylea Mortensen, Bohnet and freshman Eva Scherbel in the 200-medley relay at 2:46.38.
York, Jones, Levitt and Thompson achieved second place in the 400-freestyle relay, posting a time of 5:16.64.
On Friday, the team traveled to the Bridger Valley for the Lyman Invitational. Athletes continue to get closer to State qualifying times, said Co-Head Coach Kursty Day.
“Eva Scherbel took 7 seconds off her time in the 100-freestyle in Lyman,” she added. “Addy Levitt had a solid swim in her breaststroke and Brooke Noble dropped time in her breaststroke.”
York snagged third place in two events in Lyman – the 200-freestyle, with a time of 2:27.14, and the 100-freestyle at 1:04.95.
In the 500-freestyle, Kinnamon captured third place, posting a time of 8:21.23.
York, Levitt, Olson and Walker earned second place in the 200-freestyle relay with a time of 2:01.52.
Additional results – Evanston Duel
• 200-medley relay: Cambry Jenks, Brooke Noble, Addison Kinnamon and Matazi Landers in fourth place at 3:07.90 and Chelsea Wright, Hadlee Francis, Kamia Runyan and Mariaha Morgan in fifth place at 3:18.11.
• 200-freestyle: Wright in fifth place at 3:19.87.
• 200-individual medley: Levitt in fourth place at 3:11.16 and Aurora Rees in fifth at 3:49.10.
• 50-freestyle: Libby Olson in fourth place at 35.15 seconds, Noble in fifth at 35.27, Clairee Bingham in sixth at 35.37, Scherbel in seventh at 35.65, Landers in ninth at 36.31, Samantha Brannan in 10th at 37.57, Scott in 11th at 38.71, Bohnet in 13th at 39.75, Bryn Arne in 14th at 40.28, Mortensen in 15th at 40.72, Kinnamon in 16th at 40.82, Francis in 17th at 42.31 and Morgan in 19th at 44.82.
• 100-freestyle: Landers in fourth place at 1:21.76, Anna Wexels in sixth at 1:35.18, Evalyn Smith in seventh at 1:35.68, Francis in ninth at 1:38.89 and Morgan in 10th at 1:43.23.
• 400-freestyle: Thompson in fourth place at 6:13.63, Scherbel in fifth at 6:18.64, Olson in sixth at 6:26.24, Arne in seventh at 6:37.84, Jenks in eighth at 6:38.87, Rees in ninth at 6:54.45, Runyan in 10th at 6:59.93 and Kinnamon in 11th at 7:21.15.
• 200-freestyle relay: Jenks, Landers, Scherbel and Scott in fourth place at 2:35.38 and Runyan, Rees, Morgan and Arne in 2:47.44.
• 100-backstroke: Wright in fourth place at 1:45.31 and Brannan in fifth at 1:51.72.
• 100-breaststroke: Noble in fourth place at 1:41.61, Smith in fifth at 1:48.20, Runyan in sixth at 1:53.91 and Mortensen in seventh at 1:56.97.
• 400-freestyle relay: Olson, Jenks, Francis and Kinnamon in fourth place at 6:16.96 and Wright, Wexels, Smith and Rees in fifth place at 6:27.22.
The team travels to Green River for the 3A Conference Meet on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 20-21.