WYOMING – The Sublette County combined boys’ swim team demonstrated its endurance and strength during a grueling weekend with three back-to-back meets. Undaunted by the busy schedule, the boys dominated the Big Piney Triangular on Thursday, Jan. 7, beating Kemmerer and Lyman.
Stepping back on the bus Friday, the team traveled to the Cody Invitational where they beat Riverton and the host school, scoring 406 points.
Capping the weekend off on Saturday, the team competed at the Gene Dozah Invitational hosted by Powell. Sublette County took second place with 323 points, behind Powell at 341 points and ahead of Riverton (247 points) and Cody (155 points).
Sophomore Dillon Boespflug qualified for his seventh event at State when he beat the 3A time in the 50-freestyle. Junior J.T. Day added the 200-freestyle and 100-butterfly to the list of events he has qualified in.
Sophomore Cade Covill took first place in the 100-meter freestyle at Big Piney, clocking in at 1 minute, 8.82 seconds. Fellow sophomore Hampton Jones won the 1-meter diving event at Big Piney with 125.95 points.
Relay teams dominated the pool all weekend. Day, sophomore Andy DeClue, Boespflug and sophomore Hunter Scott scored a win in the 400-meter freestyle relay in Big Piney, timing in at 4:23.64.
John Covill, Day, Boespflug and Scott took first in the 200-yard freestyle relay at Cody, finishing in 1:42.49. Scott, John Covill, Boespflug and Jackson Fouras won the 400-yard freestyle relay in Cody at 3:46.65.
In Powell, Fouras, DeClue, Boespflug and Scott took another first-place win in the 400-yard freestyle relay, clocking in at 3:44.90.
“It was a long but very productive weekend for our swimmers,” said coaches Ron Ruckman and Kursty Day. “This was a good chance for the boys to spend lots of time together. We had some great swims and most of the team dropped time throughout the weekend.”
Top-5 highlights – Big Piney
- 200-meter freestyle: Scott in first at 2:21.40.
- 200-meter individual medley: Fouras in first at 2:22.15 and Ryen Hacklin in fourth at 2:57.39.
- 50-meter freestyle: Boespflug in fourth at 28.26 seconds.
- 1-meter diving: Day in second with 123.35 points.
- 100-meter freestyle: Max Shaw in second at 1:10.87, Conner King in third at 1:16.53, Hampton Jones in fourth at 1:21.60 and Jamison Snell in fifth at 1:34.31.
- 400-meter freestyle: Andy DeClue in third at 5:26.05, Boespflug in fourth at 5:31.37 and Owen Nielson in fifth at 5:37.37.
- 100-meter backstroke: John Ruby in third at 1:44.63 and Snell in fourth at 2:12.32.
- 100-meter breaststroke: Hacklin in third at 1:26.75.
Top-5 highlights – Cody
- 200-yard freestyle: Day in second at 2:12.21, Hymas in fourth at 2:20.38 and John Covill in fifth at 2:20.80.
- 200-yard individual medley: Scott in first at 2:13.78, Nielson in fourth at 2:52.26 and Mahaffey in fifth at 2:59.10.
- 50-yard freestyle: Boespflug in third at 25.92 seconds, Cade Covill in fourth at 26.13 and DeClue in fifth at 26.60.
- 100-yard butterfly: Boespflug in third at 1:05.26 and Day in fourth at 1:07.54.
- 100-yard freestyle: DeClue in second at 58.98 seconds.
- 500-yard freestyle: Fouras in first at 5:15.61 and Scott in second at 5:37.32.
- 100-yard backstroke: Hacklin in third at 1:10.98, King in fourth at 1:11.95 and John Covill in fifth at 1:18.27.
- 100-yard breaststroke: Fouras in first at 1:05.43 and Cade Covill in fourth at 1:22.55.
Top-5 highlights – Powell
- 200-yard individual medley: DeClue in fifth at 2:39.15.
- 50-yard freestyle: Fouras in first at 23.33 seconds and Boespflug in fourth at 25.67.
- 1-meter diving: Day in fourth with 164.50 points.
- 100-yard butterfly: Scott in first at 1:00.25 and Nielson in third at 1:11.88.
- 100-yard freestyle: DeClue in third at 1:00.23.
- 500-yard freestyle: Fouras in first at 5:15.75.
- 100-yard backstroke: Boespflug in second at 1:06.18, Day in third at 1:09.06 and King in fifth at 1:12.20.
- 100-yard breaststroke: Scott in first at 1:12.10 and Cade Covill in fifth at 1:25.40.