Swim catches its breath after Green River Invite
GREEN RIVER – The Sublette County girls’ swim team entered its second week of competition at the Green River Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 4. Big Piney and Pinedale athletes raced opponents from significantly larger programs, including Cheyenne East and Rock Springs.
Sublette County took eighth place overall with 95 points.
Pinedale senior Sierra Hattan scored her first season win in the 100-yard butterfly. Hattan’s time, 1 minute, 8.32 seconds, was well below the threshold needed to qualify for State. The race came down to the wire and Hattan beat the runner-up from Cheyenne by a hundredth of a second.
Hattan also punched her ticket to State in the 200-yard individual medley at Green River, taking fourth place and clocking in at 2:38.59.
Hattan, junior Rayne Wheeler and seniors Jacie Friel and Mia Buchanan came in third place out of 19 teams in the 200-yard freestyle relay at 1:58.39. The team edged out Rock Springs by nearly four-tenths of a second.
“With many 4A teams, the Green River Invite was probably the toughest competition we’ll see this season,” said coach Ambr Seemann. “It was a great experience to encourage our swimmers and divers to keep practicing hard. It is good to see our returning swimmers swimming faster than last year at this point in the season. We had some big time drops from last weekend in Lander and hope to continue to see that as the season progresses.”
“We had the opportunity to compete against some strong teams this weekend,” stated coach Kursty Day. “It was a good learning experience for our young swimmers. I was excited to see some time drops this early in the season.”
- 200-yard medley relay: Kalee Bohnet, Ceili Fallon, Addysen Levitt and Alexis Thompson in 11th place at 2:33.18; Cambry Jenks, Maggie Walker, Ayame Conway and Emma York in 17th at 2:59.02.
- 200-yard freestlye: Thompson in 22nd place at 2:49.58.
- 200-yard individual medley: Wheeler in seventh place at 2:42.18, Fallon in 14th at 3:01.67 and Levitt in 18th at 3:10.22.
- 50-yard freestyle: Buchanan in 12th place at 29.64 seconds, Friel in 17th at 30.50, York in 36th at 36.98 and Conway in 40th at 39.35.
- 1-meter diving: Lilly Joseph in 12th place with 130.65 points, Rachael Essington in 19th at 100.50 and Walker in 20th at 98.95.
- 100-yard butterfly: Wheeler in 10th place at 1:20.26.
- 100-yard freestyle: Buchanan in 11th place at 1:07.28, Levitt in 21st at 1:14.06, Bohnet in 26th at 1:18.84 and York in 32nd at 1:25.39.
- 500-yard freestyle: Friel in 14th place at 7:26.08.
- 200-yard freestyle relay: Addison Statham, York, Essington and Fallon in 13th place at 2:18.51; Thompson, Joseph, Jenks and Conway in 16th at 2:32.40.
- 100-yard backstroke: Thompson in 16th place at 1:27.06 and Bohnet in 21st at 1:34.04.
- 100-yard breaststroke: Fallon in ninth place at 1:30.12, Walker in 11th at 1:33.07 and Statham in 14th at 1:39.01.
- 400-yard freestyle relay: Hattan, Wheeler, Buchanan and Friel in seventh place at 4:34.84; Levitt, Statham, Bohnet and Walker in 16th at 5:18.18.