Sublette swim finishes 2nd at Lyman Invite
LYMAN – The Sublette County combined boys’ swim team completed another successful weekend with a second-place finish at the Lyman Invitational on Friday, Jan. 22. Sublette County beat out Evanston and Lyman while Green River took top honors.
Big Piney junior J.T. Day added his sixth qualifying event, the 100 freestyle, at Lyman. Ryen Hacklin, a freshman at Big Piney, joined the squad headed for State when he qualified in the 100 breaststroke.
“We have been working very hard in practice this week and the guys were pretty worn out coming into this meet,” said coach Ron Ruckman. “However, we still had some great swims and significant time drops. We were able to barely squeak by Evanston for an exciting second-place finish. We were tied going into the last event, but our 400 relay team was able to beat Evanston by 12 seconds.”
Green River joined the 3A division this season, posing a challenge for the smaller schools at the meet.
“This meet gave our boys a great opportunity to compete with some tough competition,” said coach Kursty Day. “Our boys have been working hard in practice and will continue to work on our endurance and technique. We are looking forward to swimming in Pinedale on Friday and Saturday.”
- Relay highlights: Dillon Boespflug, Jackson Fouras, John Covill and Hunter Scott took third place in the 200-yard medley relay at 1 minute, 52.36 seconds. Andy DeClue, Cade Covill, Day and John Covill came in fourth place in the 200-yard freestyle relay at 1:45.46.
In the crucial 400-yard freestyle relay that put Sublette County ahead of Evanston, Scott, Cade Covill, Boespflug and Fouras took third place at 3:48.06.
- 200-yard freestyle: Cade Covill in sixth place at 2:19.43, Juan Reyes in ninth at 2:27.06 and Declan McAffey in 10th at 2:33.50.
- 200-yard individual medley: Hacklin in seventh place at 2:42.22, Max Shaw in ninth at 2:52.59 and Logan Bing in 10th at 3:06.30.
- 50-yard freestyle: Boespflug in third place at 25.51 seconds, Brayden Hymas in eighth at 28.01, Conner King in 10th at 28.70, Owen Nielson in 13th at 29.94, John Ruby in 17th at 33.27 and Andy Jones in 18th at 39.23.
- 1-meter diving: Hampton Jones in fifth place with 133.75 points and Hayden Flint in sixth at 119.90.
- 100-yard butterfly: Fouras in second place at 58.20 seconds.
- 100-yard freestyle: Boespflug in fourth place at 55.94 seconds, Day in fifth at 55.99 seconds, John Covill in sixth at 58.86 seconds, DeClue in seventh at 59.64 seconds, Shaw in 13th at 1:03.36, Sage Mahaffey in 15th at 1:06.60, Bing in 18th at 1:07.81, King in 19th at 1:08.53, Brycen Vrska in 21st at 1:31.80 and Andy Jones in 22nd at 1:38.16.
- 500-yard freestyle: Scott in first place at 5:33.17, Nielson in eighth at 6:32.11 and Hymas in ninth at 6:44.41.
- 100-yard backstroke: Fouras in first place at 57.90 seconds, Scott in fourth at 1:02.74, Reyes in ninth at 1:17.72 and Ruby in 10th at 1:31.79.
- 100-yard breaststroke: Hacklin in sixth place at 1:16.34, Day in seventh at 1:16.84, John Covill in ninth at 1:23.27, DeClue in 10th at 1:30.04, Hampton Jones in 11th at 1:30.23, McAffey in 15th at 1:32.41, Jamison Snell in 16th at 1:41.36 and Vrska in 17th at 2:36.35.