PHS opens outdoor track season
PINEDALE – Dust off those running cleats, shot puts, pole vaults and jumping boards. Following a hiatus last spring, the Wrangler track and field team hit the ground running during the first week of competition for the 2021 season.
On Wednesday, March 31, the Wrangler boys’ and girls’ teams traveled to the Bridger Valley for the Mountain View Invitational. Pinedale took fourth place overall out of 12 teams with 146 points, beating out larger programs like Lander, Green River and Rock Springs.
Isabella Romasko shattered the Pinedale High School record in the girls’ varsity triple jump at Mountain View, taking first in the event at 37 feet, 2 1/2 inches. Romasko’s jump measured 3 feet longer than the second-place finish from Mountain View.
Romasko picked up first place in the girls’ 100-meter dash, timing in at 12.60 seconds. In the girls’ 100-meter hurdles, Romasko swept the competition for another first-place finish at 15.70 seconds.
Teagan Bowers dominated boys’ jumping events at Mountain View. He won the long jump, clearing a distance of 19-10 3/4, 3 inches longer than his opponent from Lyman. Bowers took second in the triple jump at 42-06 3/4. Bowers picked up third place in the boys’ 100-meter dash, clocking in at 11.69 seconds.
Katyana Dexter made waves in throwing events at Mountain View. She won the girls’ varsity discus at 96-03, nearly 2 feet longer than the runnerup from Lyman. Dexter took eighth place in the shot put with a toss measured in at 29-01.
In the girls’ 200-meter dash, Riley Dauwen came in second place, timing the event in at 28.63 seconds.
Mandy Majhanovich took third place in the girls’ 400 meter at 1:05.78, fifth in the 100-meter at 14.09 seconds and seventh in the long jump at 14-02 1/2.
McKinley Boulter picked up fourth-place ribbons in the girls’ long jump and high jump, clearing 14-06 1/2 and 4-08 respectively. Boulter finished in eighth place in the 100-meter dash at 14.30 seconds.
Trista Covill took fourth place in the girls’ 100-meter dash, finishing in 14.02 seconds. Covill also placed eighth in the 400-meter at 1:09.06.
Maggie Harber placed fifth in the girls’ triple jump at 30-03 3/4.
In the girls’ 400-meter dash, Lauren Jones took seventh place at 1:07.89.
James Kervitsky came in fourth place in the boys’ 200-meter dash, timing in at 24.34 seconds. He also placed fifth in the 100-meter dash at 11.80 seconds.
Jacob Bain took sixth place in the boys’ 400-meter dash, clocking in at 56.66 seconds.
Gatlin Egle came in a few tenths of second later to place seventh at 57.03 seconds.
Konner Ziegler placed eighth in the boys’ 100 meter, timing in at 12.07 seconds.
Senior Carson Gregory broke into the top 10 in throwing events. He placed ninth in both the shot put at 36-04 1/2 and the discus at 102-00.
Lexie Goodrich placed 10th in the girls’ 1600-meter run at 6:50.43.
Relay highlights included a second-place finish for the girls’ 4x400-meter team. Majhanovich, Jones, Covill and Dauwen finished the race in 4:39.23.
Boulter, Harber, Jones and Dauwen placed fourth in the 1600-meter sprint medley at 5:04.72.
The boys’ 1600-meter sprint medley relay team finished in second place. Ziegler, Dillon Boespflug, Bain and Egle clocked in at 4:08.83.
Bain, Fisher Vance, Noah Sletten and Egle came in seventh in the boys’ 4x400-meter relay at 4:08.23.
Top 20 results – Mountain View
- Girls’ 100-meter dash: Lauren Kervitsky in 18th place at 15.27 seconds.
- Girls’ 200-meter dash: Kervitsky in 16th place at 32.05 seconds.
- Girls’ 400-meter dash: Ashley Boulter in 15th place at 1:15.67 and Ayla Pollard in 16th at 1:28.58.
- Girls’ 800-meter run: Lexie Goodrich in 13th place at 3:04.37.
- Girls’ 300-meter hurdles: Dauwen in 11th place at 55.09 seconds.
- Girls’ long jump: Harber in 18th place at 12-06 1/4 and Mikayla Drake in 20th at 11-07 3/4.
- Girls’ high jump: Kervitsky in 15th place at 4-02 and Covill tied for 18th at 4-02.
- Boys’ 100-meter dash: Sletten in 17th place at 12.40 seconds.
- Boys’ 200-meter dash: Sletten in 13th at 25.41 seconds.
- Boys’ 400-meter dash: Vance in 19th place at 1:02.19.
- Boys’ 800-meter run: Mason Orm in 17th place at 2:30.81.
- Boys’ 1600-meter run: Orm in 17th place at 5:31.34.
- Boys’ discus: Austin Green in 11th place at 98-02.
On Thursday, April 1, the Wranglers competed in a duel against Farson.
- Girls’ discus: Dexter in first place at 105-03 1/2 and Grossman in third at 66-09.
- Girls’ 1600-meter medley relay: Boulter, Dauwen, Harber and Goodrich in first place at 5:11.90.
- Girls’ shot put: Dexter in second place at 31-09 1/2, Morgan Grossman in third at 24-01 and Goodrich in fourth at 22-00.
- Girls’ high jump: Boulter in first place at 4-04 and Kervitsky in second at 4-00.
- Girls’ triple jump: Romasko in first place at 37-00 and Harber in second at 30-03.
- Girls’ 100-meter dash: Boulter in first place at 13.09 seconds, Dauwen in second at 13.60 and Covill in third at 13.64.
- Girls’ long jump: Majhanovich in first place at 15-00 3/4, Boulter in second at 14-10 and Drake in third at 12-11 3/4.
- Girls’ 300-meter hurdles: Romasko in first place at 49.63 seconds.
- Girls’ 200-meter dash: Dauwen in first place at 28.09 seconds, Kervitsky in second at 30.72 and Boulter in third at 31.81.
- Boys’ triple jump: Bowers in first place at 40-07 and Max Rife in second at 32-05.
- Boys’ long jump: Bowers in first place at 20-08 1/2.
- Boys’ discus: Gregory in first place at 116-07 3/4, Dodge Westercamp in second at 107-10 3/4 and Green in third at 94-03 3/4.