Man charged in moose shooting

PINEDALE – A Pinedale man faces the charge of taking a big-game animal without a license after shooting a moose he said was endangering his family on July 24.

At about 8:45 p.m. that evening, Chauncey G. Goodrich called and texted Pinedale Game and Fish Warden Herb Haley “stating that he had shot and killed a bull moose near his house” in Pinedale, Haley wrote in his affidavit, filed Aug. 1 in Circuit Court with the charge.

“He stated he tried to push the moose away from his house when it charged him and he shot it,” it says. “… On 7/24/2017 he texted me saying he had put that bull down.”

Last Tuesday, July 25, Roundup reporters went to the Schroeder Ranch, near Goodrich’s property, where they observed a dead bull moose lying in tall grass, its antlers in the velvet stage.

Haley’s affidavit states that he, Pinedale supervisor John Lund and Warden Jordan Kraft went to the “kill site” and found the moose with a single gunshot wound to its left chest and a spent 7 mm magnum rifle casing by the tree where Goodrich reported to be when he shot it.

“The wound path indicated the bull was shot as it was facing Goodrich head on,” Haley wrote.

Also last Tuesday, Haley stated that he spoke with Chris Thomas, a neighbor directly south of Goodrich, who was upset about the shooting and said “she never had any aggressive or negative encounters with this bull moose” and didn’t believe it was the same one that reportedly charged a year ago, according to court records.

Haley said he reviewed his previous text messages from Goodrich about moose problems, noting an issue in June 2016. The warden provided Goodrich with cracker shells and rubber buckshot; Goodrich stated in a text later that day he was going to run off a bull moose that returned.

Two days later, Goodrich texted Haley and said a bull moose was back. Haley said he went to the house but did not see a moose.

The next contact was on April 25, according to Haley.

“He texted me that he had a second close call with a moose and that ‘next time I’m putting that son-of-a-b**** down,” the affidavit states. “On 7/24/2017 I did not receive any other calls, texts or concerns from Goodrich about moose.”

On July 26, Goodrich emailed a statement to the Roundup after being asked about the incident.

“We had an encounter with a habituated moose that ended very unfortunately, but done in self-defense. The moose had been known to charge, attack, and put my family in life-threating situations multiple times over the past year and a half.  We have used bear spray, rubber buckshot (given by the Game and Fish), and a mini flare gun (given by the G&F) to detour the moose with little to no avail. This was an ongoing problem with one habituated, aggressive moose.”

The high misdemeanor charge carries a maximum penalty of up to one year in jail and/or up to $10,000 fine. Goodrich’s arraignment is set for Aug. 30 at 11 a.m. in Circuit Court.


Video News
More In Homepage