Girls’ swim team improves times
GREEN RIVER – The Sublette County combined girls’ swim team made waves against some big opponents at the Green River Fall Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 2.
Nine teams competed at the meet, including several programs from much larger schools like Cheyenne East, Evanston, Natrona County High School, Rock Springs and the meet hosts.
Sublette County’s relatively young squad focused on shaving crucial seconds from their times in individual events and relays at Green River to reach the goal of qualifying more athletes for the State Tournament in the coming weeks.
“We had a lot of girls dropping time and swimming the way they were at the end of last season, which is super encouraging as we think about State qualifying times,” said Co-Head Coach Kelsey Harder. “It feels like we are three months ahead of the game and I am pumped. Green River was a great meet and we are now looking ahead to Worland and Powell this weekend.”
Juniors Maggie Walker, Emma York, Alexis Thompson and Jolynn Jones earned third place in the 200-yard freestyle relay. The team posted a solid time of 2 minutes, 1.67 seconds, placing them ahead of 18 other teams.
Three Sublette County swimmers broke into the top 10 in the 100-freestyle. York led the pack in sixth place with a time of 1:06.77. Finishing close on York’s heels, Jones took seventh place at 1:07.59. Thompson snagged eighth place at 1:08.32.
“Emma, Jolynn and Alexis each took off time in this event – not an easy thing to do when they just swam it last week,” said Co-Head Coach Kursty Day.
Jones also placed eighth in the 200-yard individual medley, timing in at 2:49.44.
Rounding out the top-10 finishes, junior KaLee Bohnet secured ninth place in the 100-yard butterfly, crossing the finish line in 1:25.57.
• 200-medley relay: Kamia Runyan, Shelby Scott, Bohnet and Libby Olson in 11th place at 2:33.95 and Eva Scherbel, Evalyn Smith, Chelsea Wright and Addison Kinnamon in 15th at 2:46.02.
• 200-freestyle: Thompson in 13th place at 2:35.39, Addysen Levitt in 17th at 2:43.33, Kinnamon in 23rd at 2:58.13, Runyan in 24th at 2:58.27, Clairee Bingham in 25th at 2:58.92 and Wright in 26th at 3:06.55.
• 200-individual medley: York in 16th place at 3:01.81 and Scott in 18th at 3:09.66.
• 50-freestyle: Walker in 16th place at 30.79 seconds, Olson in 18th at 31.40, Bohnet in 21st at 32.12, Scherbel in 24th at 32.95, Matazi Landers in 25th at 33.01, Aurora Rees in 29th at 33.59, Alyce Hayward in 36th at 35.40, Bryn Arne in 37th at 35.74, Mariaha Morgan in 47th at 39.61, Hadlee Francis in 49th at 39.96 and Anna Wexels in 58th at 45.10.
• 100-freestyle: Olson in 13th place at 1:11.92, Levitt in 14th at 1:11.96, Rees in 21st at 1:16.25 and Kinnamon in 33rd at 1:23.44.
• 500-freestyle: Hayward in 17th place at 8:10.89.
• 200-freestyle relay: Levitt, Bingham Bohnet and Olson in 11th place at 2:12.12; Scott, Hayward, Rees and Runyan in 12th at 2:17.79 and Landers, Kaylea Mortensen, Francis and Arne in 18th at 2:26.81.
• 100-backstroke: Scott in 12th place at 1:20.96, Walker in 14th at 1:22.47, Landers in 20th at 1:31.28, Wright in 29th at 1:41.03, Arne in 30th at 1:42.89, Francis in 31st at 1:44.77, Morgan in 34th at 1:50.74 and Wexels in 35th at 1:54.68.
• 100-breaststroke: Runyan in 19th place at 1:37.34, Mortensen in 22nd at 1:41.39, Bingham in 23rd at 1:42.17 and Scherbel in 27th at 1:44.52.
• 400-freestyle relay: York, Scherbel, Smith and Landers in 13th place at 5:25.74 and Bingham, Arne, Wright and Kinnamon in 14th at 5:34.14.