Girls’ swim team crushes Rock Springs
Robert Galbreath photos
Sublette County hosts six teams for home invite
PINEDALE – The results from the Homecoming Duel between the Sublette County combined girls’ swim team and Rock Springs on Sept. 21 are in and reflect a major triumph for Sublette County athletes.
The Sublette County swim team trounced their rivals, 429-291, at the event hosted at the Pinedale Aquatic Center.
Junior Emma York captured gold in the 50-freestyle, clocking the sprint event in at 29.32 seconds. York went on to garner second place in the 100-backstroke, posting a time of 1 minute, 22.13 seconds.
Fellow junior KaLee Bohnet won the 100-butterfly, timing the event in at 1:23.05.
Hitting the finish line for the 100-freestyle at 1:05.97, junior Jolynn Jones snagged first place in the event. Jones also took second place in the 50-freestyle with a time of 29.87 seconds.
Junior Maggie Walker earned gold in the 100-breaststroke, finishing the event in 1:27.12.
In relays, senior Addysen Levitt, junior Alexis Thompson, sophomore Libby Olson and Jones pulled into first place in the 200-freestyle event. Clocking in at 2:03.46, the team beat Rock Springs by more than 17 seconds.
Thompson picked up second place in the 100-freestyle, reaching the finish line in 1:07.34. The junior secured third place in the 200-freestyle with a time of 2:34.42.
Sophomore Kamia Runyan captured silver in the 200-individual medley, posting a time of 3:14.86.
In the 100-butterfly, freshman Eva Scherbel came in second place, hitting the finish line in 1:43.24.
Sophomore Aurora Rees obtained second place in the long-distance 500-freestyle with a time of 7:36.61.
Olson snagged bronze in the 50-freestyle, timing the sprint in at 30.09 seconds. The sophomore went on to earn third place in the 100-backstroke, with a time of 1:26.23.
Touching the finish line for the 200-individual medley at 3:15.93, sophomore Kaylea Mortensen achieved third place in the event.
Sophomore Bryn Arne secured third place in the 500-freestyle, posting a time of 7:37.34.
Sophomore Alyce Hayward finished third in the 100-butterfly with a time of 1:54.94.
Additional relay highlights included a second-place finish for Thompson, Walker, Jones and York in the 400-freestyle, timing in at 4:40.23. Olson, Walker, Levitt and York scooped up second place in the 200-medley relay at 2:20.97.
Additional Homecoming Duel results
• 200-freestyle: Rees in fourth place at 2:48.83, Hayward in fifth at 3:16.81 and Mariaha Morgan in sixth place at 3:24.87.
• 200-individual medley: Scherbel in fourth place at 3:21.87 and Bohnet in fifth at 3:25.97.
• 50-freestyle: Walker in fourth place at 30.28 seconds, Matazi Landers in sixth at 31.53, Clairee Bingham in seventh at 31.97, Addison Kinnamon in 11th at 34.47, Arne in 13th at 34.69, Hadlee Francis in 17th at 38.79, Anna Wexels in 18th at 40.35 and Morgan in 20th at 42.21.
• 100-freestyle: Levitt in fourth place at 1:10.44, Runyan in seventh at 1:16.09, Mortensen in eighth at 1:17.10, Kinnamon in ninth at 1:19.14 and Wexels in 12th at 1:30.61.
• 100-backstroke: Evalyn Smith in fourth place at 1:36.83 and Francis in fifth at 1:39.93.
• 100-breaststroke: Levitt in fourth place at 1:33.50, Landers in fifth at 1:35.90, Smith in sixth at 1:36.33 and Bingham in seventh at 1:36.84.
Competing in its second home meet in two weeks, Sublette County hosted six other schools for the Pinedale Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 30.
Sublette County swimmers continued to drop times and broke into the top 10 in multiple events against athletes from several considerably larger programs like Lander and Riverton.
Jones captured fourth place in the 100-butterfly, posting a time of 1:16.64. She also snapped up fifth place in the 200-freestyle at 2:25.13.
York earned sixth place in the 200-freestyle, reaching the finish line in 2:25.50. The junior went on to finish sixth in the 100-freestyle at 1:04.41.
Scherbel pulled into seventh place in the 500-freestyle, completing the long-distance event with a time of 7:15.70.
In the 100-butterfly, Bohnet snagged seventh place with a time of 1:24.69.
Levitt came in ninth place in the 200-individual medley, clocking in at 2:57.77.
Thompson took ninth place in the 100-freestyle, hitting the finish line in 1:08.60.
Timing the 50-freestyle in at 29.87 seconds, Olson placed 10th in the event.
Relay top-10 performances consisted of a fourth-place finish for Jones, Walker, Thompson and York in the 200-freestyle relay with a time of 2:01.10. Olson, Scherbel, Shelby Scott and Levitt placed seventh in the event at 2:09.46.
Clocking the 400-freestyle relay in at 4:43.10, York, Levitt, Thompson and Jones garnered sixth place in the event.
Walker, Mortensen, Bohnet and Olson earned ninth place in the 200-medley relay at 2:23.78.
Additional Pinedale Invitational results
• 200-medley relay: Brooke Noble, Smith, Chelsea Wright and Morgan in 12th place at 2:51.77.
• 200-freestyle: Thompson in 12th place at 2:31.75, Arne in 18th at 2:47.13, Hayward in 22nd at 3:00.34 and Wright in 23rd at 3:02.25.
• 50-freestyle: Noble in 15th place at 31.65 seconds, Levitt in 16th at 31.88, Bingham in 17th at 31.97, Landers in 19th at 32.05, Scherbel in 20th at 32.32, Scott in 22nd at 32.73, Kinnamon in 24th at 34.56, Smith in 26th at 35.43, Francis in 31st at 36.76 and Morgan in 35th at 41.08.
• 100-butterfly: Hayward in 11th place at 1:50.99.
• 100-freestyle: Olson in 12th place at 1:09.20, Mortensen in 18th at 1:17.02, Bingham in 19th at 1:17.48, Arne in 20th at 1:20.02 and Kinnamon in 21st at 1:20.38.
• 200-freestyle relay: Landers, Noble, Bingham and Mortensen in 11th place at 2:13.38 and Arne, Hayward Morgan and Francis in 15th at 2:32.54.
• 100-backstroke: Scott in 16th place at 1:19.75, Wright in 23rd at 1:37.74 and Bohnet in 24th at 1:40.26.
• 100-breaststroke: Landers and Noble tied for 13th place at 1:32.35, Smith in 17th at 1:35.75 and Francis in 22nd at 1:56.54.
• 400-freestyle relay: Bohnet, Francis, Hayward and Kinnamon in 11th place at 5:43.96 and Wright, Smith, Bingham and Morgan in 12th at 5:50.28.