Commissioners approved at their Oct.
20 meeting going back to the State Land
Investment Board to request an additional
$608,000 for eight projects related to COVID-
Sublette County Commissioners submitted
a grant requesting $1.6 million in October
for COVID-19 expenditures but the state
approved only $889,022 at its Oct. 1 meeting
as part of the Coronavirus Relief Grant
County Administrator Matt Gaffney
said all eight of the projects approved by
commissioners during the Oct. 20 meeting
have been previously submitted to the state
and were rejected.
After listening to the October SLIB
meeting, Gaffney said he understood better
the types of projects that have been approved
and he beefed up the applications to make the
requests more relevant to the pandemic.
County returns again to the
trough for CARES funding
Among the items that were denied included
an ambulance, monitoring equipment,
reimbursement for delivering library materials,
replacing lost revenue while the senior centers
were closed, general equipment replacement,
sewing machines, tables and chairs for the
Southwest Sublette County Pioneers Center
and a digital billboard.
The reason for denying those requests
was stated as “Items denied either are
only tangentially related to COVID-19,
not allowable per CARES Act or can’t be
Sublette County’s request was one of
37 submitted by counties, municipalities,
hospitals and state agencies.
Of the $11.2 million requested, the SLIB
denied more than $5.1 million in the previous
The new request will be considered at the
SLIB’s Nov. 5 meeting.
Gaffney said any new requests could still be
added for the state’s Dec. 3 meeting. However,
he added, time is getting short because the
funds must be spent by the end of the year.